Saturday, August 9, 2008

I just don't get it...

Say your husband is a high-profile politician with an expensive suit and haircut. This husband whores out you and your family every election to get votes based on his family values, etc etc.

Say you're diagnosed with terminal cancer. Where is your husband? Holding your hand during chemo? Holding your hair back while you vomit everything you eat? Helping you enjoy what could possibly be your last days on earth?

What if he's getting it on with a skank in a hotel room??

I don't understand why all these high-profile wives would stand by their husbands when their adultry is publicly exposed. Or even privately exposed.

"Although John believes he should stand alone and take the consequences of his action now, when the door closes behind him, he has his family waiting for him."

Why? WHY? When you marry someone, you swear to them not to use them, lie to them, cheat on them, promise to take care of them... so when it becomes apparant that they haven't kept a single one of those promises, why would you stand by them?

"John has spoken in a long on-camera interview. Admitting one's mistakes is a hard thing for anyone to do. I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. "

I don't think it's courage. I think he's trying to cover his ass by pre-empting the release of any dirty details that are sure to come out. He's trying to save what few political chances he has left. He's also showing no regard for his wife's dignity, if he really cared about her he would have just said "Yeah I did it." And nothing else. No interviews, nothing. By doing an interview, he's taking his wife's pain and exposing it to the world. Showing all of America that the life she leads as a wife is nothing more than a sham.

I have been very fortunate in that my own Dear Husband has never cheated on me. I can't honestly say how I would react. But, from the perspective as an objective outsider, I cannot imagine why women who have been cheated on and had it exposed in National Inquierer would choose to stay with the douchebag that cheated on her while she was dying of cancer.

Even if he says he's sorry and will never do it again, the fact remains that he ALREADY lied. ALREADY violated your trust. How can you ever be positive that it won't happen again? Just if he says sorry and does a TV interview?

That doesn't cut it.

Dina McGreevey was embarrassed by her husband in much the same manner as Elizabeth Edwards. She left him, found herself a life and identity apart from her husband's political status, and from what I understand is publishing a book. It would appear to prove that former wives CAN lead productive, meaningful lives after being the "Mrs Governor" or "Mrs Presidential Candidate". And, Elizabeth woudln't have to pay for John's expensive haircuts anymore.

On the other hand, she is dying of cancer. Perhaps she doesn't want her last days colored by a nasty divorce.

Like I said, I've never had to experience that kind of hurt. And I never hope I have to. But I think you lose a bit of your dignity if you stick with a loser husband after he's embarrassed you in front of the entire nation.

No comments: